Pine Island Pulls Off Upset in Section 1AA Volleyball
The Pine Island Panthers punched their ticket to the Elite Eight of the Section 1AA Volleyball Tournament by upending #8 seed Lewiston-Altura in five sets.
The #9 seed Panthers dropped the first set 25-15, won the second 25-21, fell in the third 25-17 before a 26-24 overtime win and 15-12 fifth set victory.
Pine Island will go up against top seed Cannon Falls Saturday 1:30 p.m. in Rochester.
The Bombers swept Blooming Prairie but it wasn't easy. Scores were 25-9, 25-14, 25-20.
#2 seed Zumbrota-Mazeppa downed Triton in three sets 25-20, 25-12, 25-18.
The Cougars will play #7 seed Goodhue at 3:00 p.m. Saturday in Rochester.
The Wildcats defeated Dover-Eyota 25-15, 25-17, 25-22.
The other 1:30 p.m. match features #4 seed Lake City against #5 Medford. Both teams are the Tigers.
The Lake City version got by Plainview-Elgin-Millville in four sets. The Bulldogs won the first set 27-25 before Lake City reeled off 25-15, 25-22, 25-13 wins.
Medford sent the St. Charles Saints marching home with 25-13, 25-12, 25-18 scores.
The other 3:00 p.m. game finds #3 Caledonia facing #6 seed Chatfield.
The Warriors swept LaCrescent 25-10, 25-20, 25-17. The Gophers needed four sets to win against Winona Cotter.
Chatfield won the first two sets 25-17, 25- 22 before succumbing 25-16 in the third set and winning 25-13 in the fourth set.
Other area volleyball scores from Thursday, October 28, 2021 include:
- Section 3 Class 4A Semifinal #1 seed Eagan gets by #4 Woodbury 29-27, 25-17, 26-24.
- Section 3 Class 4A Semifinal #2 East Ridge 3 #3 seed Rosemount 0. Scores were 25-13, 25-13, 25-18.
- Eagan hosts East Ridge of Woodbury Thursday, November 4, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. for Section title.
Section 2 Class 2A:
- South Subsection top seed Waterville-Elysian-Morristown rolled over Blue Earth Area 25-10, 25-9, 25-11.
- #7 Maple river upset #2 Waseca in five sets.
- #3 New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva swept St. Clair 25-18, 25-20, 25-7.
- #4 Minnesota Valley Lutheran got by #5 Lake Crystal, Wellcome Memorial in four sets.
- Subsection play resumes Monday, November 1, 2021 at Mankato East High School with WEM playing Minnesota Valley Lutheran at 6:00 p.m.
- The other Subsection Semi is 7:45 p.m. with NRHEG playing Maple River
- North Subsection top Seed Southwest Christian had no trouble with Tri-City United 25-7, 25-10, 25-7.
- #2 Belle Plaine dispatched #7 LeSueur-Henderson 25-4, 25-13, 25-13.
- #3 seed Glencoe-Silver Lake took four sets to end #6 Holy Family Catholic's season.
- The quarterfinals will be Monday at New Prague High School. 6:00 p.m. Southwest Christian plays Norwood-Young America. 7:45 p.m. it's Belle Plaine and Glencoe-Silver Lake.
- The semifinals are Thursday, November 4, 2021 at New Prague
- The title match is at St. Peter High School on Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
Have you noticed changes over the years?
LOOK: How Halloween has changed in the past 100 years
This is informative.
KEEP READING: See 25 natural ways to boost your immune system