An early morning fire that was reported to the Montgomery Fire Department around 3:45 this morning caused enough damage to the vacant building that it was deemed an imminent public safety concern and is now in the process of being torn down.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app

City Administrator Brian Heck spoke to KDHL/Power 96 by phone this afternoon and stated that no one was injured in the blaze. An apartment resident in the adjoining building was evacuated by Montgomery Police. One business that was directly affected by the fire was Franek Plumbing and Heating. The building that houses Franek Plumbing and Heating, shares a wall with the former Taraba's Hardware store that was consumed by fire at 104 First Street South, also suffered extensive damage to the upper level of the building.

Montgomery Fire Department responded along with New Prague, Le Center, and Lonsdale Fire being called to the scene with ladder trucks. Jordan fire was called to provide additional personnel.

The fire appears to have started in the second floor of the 104 1st Street S building and spread to the 102 1st Street S building. - City of Montgomery Press Release

Image Credit: Google Maps

The fire is still under investigation by the State Fire Marshall, LeSueur County, and Montgomery Police.