Cannon Falls Baseball Keeps Winning
The Cannon Falls Bombers picked up wins Friday and Saturday over metropolitan area teams to improve to 9-1 on the season.
Friday the Bombers defeated Minneapolis Southwest 6-5; Saturday St. Anthony Village was a 4-2 victim. Both games were played at picturesque John Burch Park in downtown Cannon Falls.
Against the Soutwest Lakers Friday Gavin Gray pitched the first 5 innings allowing 3 hits, 1 run with 2 strikeouts, 1 walk while throwing 49 pitches, 32 for strikes.
Jaden Winchell took the mound the final two innings with 5 hits allowed including two home runs, 4 runs, 3 strikeouts and no walks. Winchell threw 40 pitches, 25 strikes.
Cannon Falls scored 4 runs in the third inning, one in the 5th and one in the 6th inning with Minneapolis Southwest scoring one in the fifth, two in the 6th and two in the 7th inning.
The bottom of the third Jaden Winchell opened with a walk. Ari Wells was hit by a pitch. Tyler Johnston executed a bunt and gained first to load the bases.
Gavin Gray was walked scoring a run. Jack Meyers hits a ground ball to third base scoring a run when the third baseman stepped on the bag to record an out.
Aaron Melhouse clubs a double which scores two runs. Following a pop out Jackson Ekstrom is walked. A fly out ends the inning.
Bottom of the 5th Gray reached second base on an error. He would later score on a balk after advancing to third base on a wild pitch.
In the sixth inning, with one out Elliot Nelson was hit by a pitch. Following a strikeout Ari Wells singled with Nelson going to third base. During a Tyler Johnston at bat Nelson scored on a wild pitch. It ended up being the winning run because the Lakers would score two runs in the top of the 7th.
Saturday afternoon the Huskies of St. Anthony Village visited John Burch Park with one loss coming into the game. Cannon Falls scored two runs in the second inning, one in the third and one in the fifth to secure the victory.
Tyler Johnston started on the mound for the Bombers going the first six innings allowing 3 hits, 1 run with one walk, three strikeouts. Jack Meyers threw one inning allowing one hit with 2 strikeouts and no walks.
Johnston threw 85 pitches, 59 strikes. Meyers 14 pitches, 11 strikes.
The Bombers had 7 hits. Both teams committed 2 errors.
Elliot Nelson collected 3 hits including an RBI double. Jack Meyers and Aaron Melhouse each had an RBI.
St. Anthony Village fell to 5-2 on the season. Minneapolis Southwest suffered their first loss and were 4-1 following the game.
Cannon Falls hosts Stewartville Monday, May 1, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.
Here are some other southern Minnesota baseball scores from Saturday.
- Byron 14 Faribault 0
- Albert Lea 4 Winona 2
- Red Wing 9 Mankato East 6
- Red Wing 9 Mankato East 4
- Andover 4 Rochester Mayo 1
- Stewartville 6 New Richmond 3
- New Richmond 12 Stewartville 11
- Pine Island 11 Lewiston-Altura 7
- Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton 9 Madelia 6
- Houston 6 Nevis 3 at University of Minnesota
- United South Central at St. Clair Postponed
- New Prague 10 Jordan 2
- Apple Valley 16 Richfield 8
Softball results from Saturday include:
- Eden Prairie 10 LeSueur-Henderson 4
- Spring Lake Park 11 Albert Lea 0
- St. Cloud Cathedral 7 Maple River 4 at Caswell Park Mkto
- Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial 10 Red Wing 0 in Albert Lea
- Norwood-Young America 12 Cleveland 1 at Caswell Park
- Park of Cottage Grove 4 Winona 1
- United South Central 4 Martin Luther/GHEC/Truman 3
- Rockford 10 Rochester John Marshall 0 at Albert Lea
- Spring Lake Park 11 Red Wing 0 at Albert Lea
- Farmington 9 Lakeville South 5
- North St. Paul 9 LeSueur-Henderson 5 at Eden Prairie
- Rosemount 14 Apple Valley 1
- Cleveland 13 Madelia 9 at Caswell Park
- Norwood-Young America 7 maple River 2 at Caswell Park
- Springfield 13 Bloominig Prairie 3 at Caswell Park
- LCWM 18 Rochester John Marshall 0 at Albert Lea
- Eastview 11 Eagan 2
- Lakeville North 8 Burnsville 7
- Rockford 3 Albert Lea 0
- Farmington 7 Lakeville South 1
- Rosemount 15 Apple Valley 0
- Madelia 14 Maple River 8 at Caswell Park
- Kasson-Mantorville 6 Greenway/Nashwauk/Keewatin 2
- St. Cloud Cathedral 6 Blooming Prairie 0 at Caswell Park
- St. James 5 Norwood-Young America 2 at Caswell Park
- Spring Lake Park 13 John Marshall 0 at Albert Lea
- Eagan 13 Eastview 3
- Kasson-Mantorville 3 Greenway/Nashwauk/Keewatin 0
LOOK: What are the odds that these 50 totally random events will happen to you?