5 Title Teams Named to Owatonna Hall of Fame
In order to commemorate the 25th year of the Owatonna High School athletic hall of fame, the committee is naming 5 'Teams of Distinction" for induction into the hall this September. The teams cover a 40-year span and represent girls and boys athletics. They include the first-ever Owatonna Indians state title and one unbeaten squad.
The 2020 inaugural Teams of Distinction induction class:
- 1950 boys track and field - this first state team title in OHS history
- 1954 wrestling - winning a state title after a perfect 11-0 season
- 1974 baseball - state champs with an overall record of 17-4
- 1976 girls track and field - state champs in the first year of a two-class format
- 1989 boys basketball - state champions with a 24-1 overall record
A team captain or team representative will speak on behalf of each team during an induction event on September 11, 2020. Hall of fame plaques for each team will be unveiled at that time. Letter winners, coaches and managers of the involved teams have been notified of the honor.
One of the highlights of the annual induction event is hearing stories of sports memories from those entering the hall of fame. With the change to a team-based induction this year, those stories of team success and behind-the-scenes memories should be classic.
Here is the mission statement from the hall of fame website, "It is the purpose of the Owatonna High School Athletic Hall of Fame to give special recognition to outstanding athletes, coaches, and community members who have made significant contributions to the athletic program at Owatonna High School.
The hall of fame debuted in 1996 with ten original members. Five new members have been added each year since.