10 Questions People Always Ask When You’re From Minnesota
Every time I travel, my Minnesoooota accent gives me away and conjures up all sorts of questions. Ironically, they are all stereotypical of Minnesotans. I narrowed down my top 10 questions and answered them, the Minnesota way.
- "It's 50 degrees! Why Are You Wearing Shorts?" Um, because it's 50 degrees! That's considered warm here!
- "Why Is It Called The Land of 10,000 Lakes? Look around there buddy. If you want to be exact we have 11,842 lakes (that are 10 acres or more).
- "Why Do People Go Ice Fishing?" There may or may not be a little alcohol involved to make sitting in the freezing cold more bearable, but fishing is a big deal here.
- "Do You Go To Mall Of America All The Time?" Oh Yes! Because insane crowds of people that don't know how to walk fast and getting lost in a parking garage are my ideas of fun!
- "Is Everyone You Know Super Nice?" "Minnesota Nice" might be more appropriately named passive aggressive. It's the smile on top of the bitterness that they wear so well.
- "What Do You Mean By 'That's Interesting...'?" It usually means 1 of 2 things. It's the exact opposite of interesting, or that's definitely not a choice they would have made. It's being Minnesota nice.
- "What The Heck Is Lutefisk?" I'll be honest and say I'm not a fan personally but this Norwegian staple is well....interesting.
- "Why Are People So Excited About A State Fair?" What? How dare you!? It's the great Minnesota get together for cryin' out loud where everything is fried or comes on a stick. Don't knock it till you try it!
- "Why Would You Say It's Not That Cold When It's 10 Degrees Outside?" Well, it was just like -10 yesterday so, yeah, It's not that cold.
- "Where Is Up North?" No matter where you live in the state, "North" is any place North of where you currently are. It's a destination most often associated with a vacation, and lakes, and beers.
What’s the question everyone asks you just because you’re from Minnesota? Tell us in the comments below!