Storm Damage Tips For Minnesotans During Severe Weather Season
As we get deeper into summer, it’s a nice feeling to get used to having awesome, sunny, warm weather again. But summer also means that we’re in severe weather season; we’ve already had a couple storms that have produced hail and strong winds. And sometimes, those storms might wreak havoc on your home.
That’s why the Better Business Bureau (BBB) send out some tips for Minnesotans with homes that have suffered storm damage:
- Contact your insurance company immediately to inquire about your coverage; document your damage by taking as many photos and video as possible.
- Don’t make any permanent repairs until you get approval from your insurance company. You want to make sure you’ll be fully reimbursed before you cough up some dough to fix that roof. Save all your receipts, too.
- Shop around and get multiple estimates. Watch out for high-pressure sales tactics. You can also visit BBB.org for free business profiles on any company you’re considering hiring.
- Ask all companies for proof of liability and workers compensation insurance
- Demand a written contract from anyone you hire. It should have a detailed breakdown of the work that needs to be done, materials purchased, and the pricing for labor and materials.
- Never pay in full for all repairs in advance, and never pay in cash.
- Request full details on all warranty information
Hopefully you won’t have to go through all that hassle this summer, but it’s always good to be prepared! For more tips on storm damage, check out BBB.org.
Source: Better Business Bureau