Almost all farmers purchase crop insurance through the USDA's Risk Management Agency. Many also purchase additional crop insurance from private insurance companies designed to compliment the "base insurance" available through the Risk Management Agency. Examples would be additional hail insurance or the wind endorsement for corn. While the Risk Management Agency directs the crop insurance program it is actually sold and serviced by local agents with private companies. It is a great example of a Private Public partnership that is the base of most farmers risk management.

The USDA announced today through a news release, farmers that plant cover crops can receive a "benefit" on their crop insurance. it is through the Pandemic Cover Crop Program (PCCP.) It is designed to "help farmers maintain their cover crop systems, despite the financial challenges posed by the pandemic and is part of the USDA's Pandemic Assistance for Producers initiative, a bundle of programs to bring financial assistance to farmers who felt the impact of COVID-10 market disruptions."

Farmers will have to report their acres to their local USDA Farm Service Agency by March 15, 2022. So, contact your Farm Service Agency office to make an appointment or for more information.

Top 10 Things Minnesota Kids Want To Be When They Grow Up

What do kids want to grow up to be? In 2019 a bunch of surveys were done and it really hadn't changed much from when you and I were little kids...with one addition. See if you can spot the NEW career (and a parent obviously NOT happy with the kid's Dad Trend).


More From KDHL Radio