KDHL Radio logo
Get our free mobile app

Minneapolis, MN (KROC-AM News) -The Minnesota National Guard has been instructed to be prepared to assist authorities in Minneapolis.

A spokesman for Governor Tim Walz issued a statement this afternoon that indicates he has given the Minnesota National Guard a warning order that instructs National Guard leaders to begin preparing to assist law enforcement in Minneapolis if needed. The statement noted the National Guard has yet to receive any operational orders.

Twin Cities Summer Jam Ticket Special 2021
2021 Twin Cities Summer Jam

In response, the National Guard announced it has activated about 100 members of the 257th Military Police Company at the request of the City of Minneapolis for potential support to any civil unrest. A statement says the soldiers are not currently in Minneapolis but are standing by to respond.

The City of Minneapolis has been squaring off against protesters who have repeatedly erected barriers to shut down a section of Lake Street which then the site of demonstrations since a recent fatal officer-involved shooting in a nearby parking ramp. Yesterday, heavily armed Minneapolis officers cleared away the barricades to reopen the busy roadway, where a woman was killed Sunday night when a speeding SUV smashed into a car parked on the street to serve as a barricade. The driver of the vehicle has been charged with second-degree murder.

News Update:  Rochester Man With History of Domestic Violence Gets Prison Time

Timeline: George Floyd's Death, Protests, Riots, Arrests, Chauvin Trial

It was late afternoon on Memorial Day, 2020 and many Minnesotans had observed the normally active weekend hunkered down because of the growing pandemic.

George Floyd drove to a grocery store in Minneapolis and bought some cigarettes. He was accused by employees of making the purchase with a counterfeit $20 bill and police were called. Floyd was still there in his vehicle when two officers arrived. About 10 minutes later, Chauvin and another officer showed up and the situation began to escalate. Chauvin began kneeling on Floyd's neck as he was facedown on the street. Despite repeated pleas from Floyd and a growing crowd of bystanders to remove his knee, Chauvin continued as if frozen in position with no facial expression. 

After more than 8 minutes, Chauvin finally stood up and Floyd had become unresponsive. An ambulance was called and a short while later, it was reported Floyd was dead.

A video of the incident slowly spread on social media around the state, the country and the world. Viewers literally watched a man slowly die, repeating "I can't breathe." 

The now historic response began the following day.

More From KDHL Radio