All-Terrain Track Chairs Now At 6 Minnesota State Parks (WATCH)
All-Terrain Track Chairs Now At 6 Minnesota State Parks
Great news...six Minnesota State Parks are now more accessible to people with mobility issues. As of June 2, 2022, you can reserve an all-terrain track chair or an adaptive beach chair.
"Approximately one in four people in the U.S. are living with some form of disability."
"Minnesota State Parks are for everyone to enjoy, regardless of age or ability...Adaptive equipment like these all-terrain track chairs allows visitors to explore the great outdoors. Along with other parks and trails providers across the state, we hope to provide a system of adaptive-supported recreation opportunities, from backyard to backcountry."
"These chairs can help visitors explore areas of the state parks in new ways, often on trails that are not suitable for regular wheelchairs."
Spending time in nature has been proven beneficial for almost everyone, so everyone should be able to get out there and explore, breathe the fresh air, and take in Minnesota's spectacular trails, views, and vistas.
Where's the Adaptive Beach Chair?
The adaptive beach chair is at McCarthy Beach State Park and enables visitors to enjoy a one-of-a-kind beach experience within a state park setting.
To reserve a chair, call the park you plan to visit. Scroll down for the list.
Things to Know Before You Go to Mn State Parks
- These chairs are available to anyone who has a need. Call ahead to reserve a chair to be sure it will be available when you arrive. You will be asked to sign a waiver when you check it out. No other documentation is required.
- There is no charge to use the chair, but a state park vehicle permit is required for all vehicles entering the park. There are discounted vehicle permits if you have a vehicle hang tag for a disability.
- Park staff are not available to help with transfer to or from the chair. If you need help with transfer, please bring someone who can assist you. Each location has a transfer board available. If you have additional transfer equipment that works with your personal chair, please bring that along.
- You'll be adventuring in nature, so we recommend you bring a water bottle, bug spray, sunscreen, snacks, a sun hat, and rain gear or extra layers depending on the weather. And your sense of adventure!
Adaptive All Terraine Chairs are - or will soon be - available at these locations:
- Camden State Park, 507-872-7031
- Crow Wing State Park, 218-825-3075
- Lake Bemidji State Park, 218-308-2300 (available mid-June 2022)
- McCarthy Beach State Park, 218-274-7200 (Beach chair)
- Maplewood State Park, 218-863-8383 (available early fall 2022)
- Myre-Big Island State Park, 507-668-7060
Adaptive All Terrain Chairs are also available in Olmsted County
A story I did about a student that worked his but off to bring an Action Trackchair to SE Minnesota.
Noah Hanson spoke up and said, "Hey...I'd like to be able to get involved in outdoor improvement activities at Indian Heights park." I can't vouch for the exact words the then Century High School Senior said to the Olmsted County Youth Commission, but whatever it was, it got a conversation started, and now, an Action Trackchair is available for use in Rochester. Read More: Amazing New Action Trackchair Arrives to Use in Rochester Parks!
And at the Jay C. Hormel Nature Center, reserve them by clicking HERE.
Here's a story ABC 6 News did on it.
As always, if you have a comment, complaint, or concern about something I wrote here, please let me know: firstname.lastname@example.org
That Cow Is Minnesotan!!
The escaping cow in Oklahoma City was captured...but I'm pretty sure it's from MN!