Earlier this week there were reports of people getting sick after eating salads at McDonald's restaurants. The illnesses were caused by the Cyclospora parasite, which is found in the stool of people who are infected, or in contaminated water.

Health officials in Wisconsin, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota all report they now have cases of people infected with cyclosporiasis that they believe came from having eaten the lettuce in salads at McDonald's. The numbers remain limited at this time, with MN having 3 cases. These states join the states of Iowa and Illinois, McDonald's home state, with the outbreaks.

McDonald's has pulled their salads from over 3,000 locations, primarily in the Midwest, until they can source another supplier for their lettuce blend. They have said that this is being done "out of an abundance of caution".

"Cyclosporiasis is a non-fatal infection and the most common symptom is watery diarrhea, according to the Centers for Disease Control. People fall ill an average of seven days after eating the food contaminated with fecal matter."

If you have eaten McDonald's salads within the past week or so, and notice watery diarrhea, gas, bloating, and loss of appetite, go see your primary health care provider, this parasite can be treated with antibiotics.

McDonalds U.S. July Comparable Sales Up Nearly 10 Percent
Getty Images

More From KDHL Radio