Faribault Girls Basketball Snaps Long Losing Streak to Owatonna
The Faribault Falcons were without their second leading scorer but tonight they snapped what is believed to be a 25 game losing streak to the Owatonna Huskies.
The Falcons were led by eighth grade student Amira Williams with 18 points including numerous clutch baskets and rebounds plus 4 free throws in the closing minutes of the 47-43 game.
Senior Isabel Herda added 14 points with one of her baskets following a steal in the closing seconds of the first half to give Faribault a 19-18 halftime lead.
Rylee Sietsema, junior post, fouled out with 3:39 to go finishing with 10 points. That's when Williams and Herda did an outstanding job of defensive rebounding.
Sietsema, Williams and Herda were the Malecha's Auto Body Faribault Crunch Time Faribault Players of the Game.
Owatonna was led by 6'1 sophomore post Ava Olson with 16 points. Olson received our Cashwise Foods and Pharmacy of Owatonna Delivery of the Game for delivering 12 of her points in the second half.
She was the only Huskies player in double figures.
Olson finished the game going 5 of 6 from the free throw line and knocked down a big three point basket late to pull her team to within a point with a few minutes left in the contest.
The free throw line was definitely the difference. Faribault was 14 of 24 while Owatonna went 7 of 12 from the so-called charity stripe.
The Huskies didn't get there as often because they took more three point shots finishing the game with a half dozen three point baskets. Faribault had one from Isabel Herda.
The Falcons finished the game with 27 turnovers. Owatonna scored 14 points off them.
The Huskies had 18 turnovers. Faribault scored 12 points off them.
The Falcons finished with 26 points in the paint. Owatonna tallied 12 points in the paint.
Faribault is 3-6 in the league, 4-9 overall. Owatonna fell to 2-6 in Big Nine action and 2-10 overall.
The Falcons go to Rochester Century Friday night. KDHL will broadcast the Falcons boys home game with the Panthers on Friday the 13th.
The Big Nine Conference website should have head-to-head records for each team in each sport but if they do I couldn't find them in girls basketball.
Faribault Head Coach Bill Bardal told me he had not had a team defeat Owatonna in his nine years of coaching and I was told the streak is believed to be 25 games.
If somebody knows the number please let us know.
Here are some other girls basketball scores from Tuesday, January 10, 2023:
- Grand Meadow 45 Spring Grove 20
- Hayfield 49 Kenyon-Wanamingo 35
- Cannon Falls 45 Pine Island 31
- Mankato East 59 Mankato West 46
- Minnehaha Academy 91 Apple Valley 16
- Mayer Lutheran 67 Blake 35
- Eagan 79 Burnsville 41
- Lakeville North 67 Eastview 52
- Rosemount 57 Lakeville South 46
- New Prague 73 Bloomington Jefferson 70
- Prior Lake 49 Shakopee 38
- Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial 53 Belle Plaine 49
- Albert Lea 58 Northfield 51
- Red Wing 57 Rochester John Marshall 42
- Waseca 49 Tri-City United 25
- Triton 52 Bethlehem Academy 46
- Randolph 56 Blooming Prairie 48
- Leroy-Ostrnder 65 Southland 63
- Schaeffer Academy 45 Mabel-Canton 41
Boys Basketball scores for January 10, 2023 in the region:
- Kenyon-Wanamingo 59 Hayfield 58 Alex Lee had 18 points, 10 rebounds, AJ Higgenbottom 19 points for K-W. Isaac Matti 23 points for Vikings.
- Triton 67 Bethlehem Academy 63 Jayce Leonardo 22 points, 10 rebounds, Pierce Petersohn 23 points for Triton.
- Owatonna 66 Faribault 27
- Randolph 61 Blooming Prairie 45 Quinn Sabila & JJ Root each 15 points for Rockets.
- Wabasha-Kellogg 69 Glenville-Emmons 54
- Lanesboro 63 Rushford-Peterson 43
- Spring Grove 64 Grand Meadow 27
- Plainview-Elgin-Millville 93 Caledonia 88 (Triple overtime)
- Lake City 51 Goodhue 47
- Stewartville 63 Zumbrota-Mazeppa 62
- Cannon Falls 58 Pine Island 44
- Rochester Century 60 Rochester Mayo 57
- New Prague 57 Kasson-Mantorville 52
- Eagan 81 Burnsville 75
- Farmington 70 Apple Valley 56
- Eastview 79 Lakeville North 77
- Lake Crystal-Wellcome Memorial 76 Mankato Loyola 66
- Nicollet 60 Cleveland 56
- Lakeville South 47 Rosemount 36
- Shakopee 69 Prior Lake 60
- Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton 72 Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 60
- Kingsland 67 Houston 56
- Belle Plaine 70 Lester Prairie 59
- Maple River 39 United South Central 31
- Tri-City United 57 Mayer Lutheran 46
- LeSueur-Henderson 50 Sibley East 48
- Zumbrota-Mazeppa 63 Stewartville 62
- Northfield 90 Albert Lea 84
- Rochester John Marshall 71 Red Wing 41
- Mankato East 77 Mankato West 61