Faribault Football Advances to Section 2AAAA Semifinal
The Faribault Falcons ended their home schedule undefeated with a 43-14 win tonight over the Marshall Tigers at Bruce Smith Field.
Faribault took awhile to get going after scoring on their opening drive of the game on a Matthias Lenway 1 yard plunge into the end zone. Senior kicker Edwardo Solis kicked the extra point. The Falcons converted on a 4th and 15 during the drive thanks to a pass from Hunter Nelson to Lenway to keep the drive alive.
Marshall stymied Faribault on their next drive forcing a punt which may have been the play that determined the rest of the game.
Nelson kicked a 67 yard punt that flipped the field for the rest of the first half. The Tigers had to start the drive on their 6 yard line and punted the ball giving Faribault the ball at the 43 of Marshall.
6:16 to go in the first half Nelson hit a go route to Worrell who blew by his defender to easily score on a 27 yard touchdown. Nelson ran in the two point conversion to make it 15-0.
Nelson hit Worrell again for a 29 yard touchdown with 2:32 to go in the first half. The extra point kick was good again by Solis.
Faribault took a 22-0 lead into the lockeroom at halftime.
Marshall got the ball to start the second half but their deep kickoff return guys had trouble catching and hanging onto the ball resulting in poor starting field position.
The Tigers started at their 11, 17 and 12 yard like to start the second half.
In the first series Falcons junior linebacker Beau Schrot intercepted a pass to give Faribault the ball at the 25 of Marshall.
The Falcons did not score on that drive but did with :38 to go in the third quarter when Lenway ran into the end zone from 4 yards out. Solis added the extra point.
11:57 to go in the game Nelson darted into the end zone from 4 yards away. The extra point kick by Solis was good to make the score 36-0.
Falcons senior Elijah Hammonds went in to play running back, hit the hole with authority and outraced everyone to the end zone for a 34 yard touchdown. Solis nailed another extra point kick.
Marshall scored their two touchdowns on a 56 yard run with 9:49 to go in the game and a 8 yard run with 2:31 left in the game.
The Tigers end their season 4-5.
#3 seed Faribault, now 6-3, goes to #2 Willmar (6-2) Saturday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. The Cardinals ended the regular season with a 17-0 loss to Becker
Statistics in the game were fairly even. Faribault had 302 yards of total offense, Marshall 284. The Tigers threw for 135 yards, Falcons 128.
Faribault had 174 yards on the ground, Marshall 149.
The Falcons finished the game with 21 first downs, the Tigers 14.
Lenway had 115 yards rushing on 20 carries, two td's. Hammonds 41 yards with two carries and a score.
Nelson was 12 of 20 passing for 128 yards, two touchdowns. Six different Faribault players had catches led by Jordan Klecker with 4 for 15 yards.
Worrell had 2 receptions for 56 yards and two touchdowns. Lenway two catches for 22 yards. Isaac Mata two for 19 yards. Ian Ehlers and Beau Schrot each had one catch.
Defensively Schrot led the tackle charts with 6, 4 solo. Tim Neirby had 4 tackles, 3 solo and a sack.
Other playoff football results Tuesday:
- Bethlehem Academy 44 Hayfield 18
- Randolph 36 Kenyon-Wanamingo 32
- Northfield 48 Austin 14
- New Prague 34 Mankato East 21
- Byron 41 Red Wing 0
- Plainview-Elgin-Millville 37 Zumbrota-Mazeppa 0
- Rochester Lourdes 28 Pine Island 0
- Blooming Prairie 37 Medford 0
- Lake City 41 LaCrescent 18
- Triton 30 St. Charles 28
- Winona 49 Albert Lea 20
- Waseca 62 Belle Plaine 0
- Luverne 23 Worthington 7
- Rochester Century 40 Rochester John Marshall 28
- Tri-City United 28 New Ulm 14
- Goodhue 46 Dover-Eyota 12
- Rushford-Peterson 32 Wabasha-Kellogg 6
- Fillmore Central 18 Kingsland 0
- St. Peter 30 Jordan 7
- Maple River 46 LeSueur- Henderson 14
- Blue Earth Area 49 Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 7
- St. Clair/Loyola 13 New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva 7
- Chatfield 60 Winona Cotter 14
- Lewiston-Altura 34 Caledonia 14
- Mayer Lutheran 42 Alden-Conger/Glenville-Emmons 0
- Grand Meadow 42 Houston 14
- Lester Prairie 37 Cleveland 0
- Gibbon-Fairfax-Winthrop 42 Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton 12
- Lanesboro 53 Lyle-Pacelli 0
- Southland 19 Spring Grove 12
- Leroy-Ostrander 57 Mabel-Canton 6
- United South Central 39 New Ulm Cathedral 7
- Apple Valley 27 Bloomington Jefferson 13
Can you guess this?
Check Out the Best-Selling Album From the Year You Graduated High School
This is awesome!