Under the provisions of the current Farm Bill, farmers need to stop by their local Farm Service Agency (FAS) office each year and sign up or enroll in the Farm Program. I received a news release from the Goodhue County FSA office reminding farmers to sign up as 94 percent of the farmers in Goodhue County still need to sign up! Remember the first year of the current Farm Bill there were many educational meetings because farmers had to pick between PLC or ARC County? Which ever one you chose back then you have to stay in that part of the Farm Bill.

But you still have to sign up each year. Some county FSA offices ask that you give them a call ahead of time so they can have everything ready when you get there. Especially if there were some changes to your operation. If you bought or rented additional land this year or if there is a farm you will not be renting FSA staff need to make those changes. It usually takes me about 5 minutes at my FSA office to sign up for the Farm Bill.

More From KDHL Radio