BBB Tips for Buying a Dog
Pets can be such a joyful part of life, and whether you prefer a cat, dog, bird, or hamster, you love your pets and want the best for them. But if you don't have a pet already, the BBB has a few tips you should take into consideration before purchasing a dog.
Accourding to the BBB, here a few things to keep in mind when adding a furry friend:
- Think things through. Make sure you are prepared to take care of the animal for the next decade or two. Can you afford it, does your living situation allow it, and do you have the time.
- Check with BBB. Always look into a pet store’s background at bbb.org, and the same applies to breeders. If you encounter any problems, file a complaint.
- Find the type of dog that fits your lifestyle and space best. If you want a lap dog, or prefer a large dog, and if you have children, that might factor into what breed is best for you.
- Consider adoption. Pet adoption can be a wonderful way to bring a pet into your home, and bonus, they are often already house trained.
- Know that pet consumers have protections under Minnesota state law, under the Pet Lemon Law.
Hopefully these tips are helpful as you venture into pet ownership!