The Top-5 Reasons You Should Get To Medford This Weekend
It's Straight River Days weekend in Medford! Talk about a complete town festival! Whether you are into cars, music, or a great bargain from the city-wide garage sales that are happening there is something for everyone. Here are my top-5 reasons you should come to Medford sometime this weekend to soak up some of the activities during Straight River Days, in no particular order!
1. The Extreme Car Show! It's going on Saturday from 10am to 1pm at Anhorn’s Gas & Tire. This is a great time to come out and see some fantastic cars. There isn't a make and model restriction as there are in other car shows. The first 30 cars that registered got dash plaques and there's a bunch of awards. If you enjoy BIG cars check out Bigfoot which happens to be parked at Anhorn's.
2. The Rubber Duck Pluck! Buy a rubber duck for $5, and it might net you a cool $300 if your duck is the first one plucked from the Medford pool. The rubber duck pluck got moved to the pool this year due to environmental concerns and river safety, which with all the rain we've had this spring makes sense. Where else are you going to score some 'bill's from a duck. (<-- pun intended.)
3. There is plenty for the kids to do. Sometimes you go to these town festivals and there isn't anything for the kids to do besides getting on your nerves. Not the case with Straight River Days. There are henna tattoos Friday night and then a Kid Zone Saturday beginning at 11am. Throw in face-painting, a kids' pie eating contest, and a magic show and you'll have some kids or grandkids that shouldn't give you any trouble when bed-time comes around.
4. The Muni Street Dance Saturday night. No kids here. Catch Rhino (they play just about any and everything) at 9pm at the Medford Muni. Grab some ice cold beer and jam out, and don't forget there is also a rooftop toss for a shot at some free gear, coozies, or who knows what is going to be flying off the roof.
5. The Friday (tonight's) Parade. The annual Straight River Days parade is a hometown tradition that draws hundreds of spectators to Medford to celebrate both Straight River Days and Independence Day. The 2019 parade will be held on Friday, June 14th at 7:00 p.m. Following the parade there will be a concert by Straight Talk at Straight River Park – admission is free. This year the 2019 Grand Marshal is Medford’s longtime resident and business owner, Clayton Just!
Don't sleep on this weekend as there is plenty to do in Southern Minnesota!