Owatonna to Tangle with Top-Rated Team in MN
The Owatonna High School football team plays at Mankato West Friday night, September 17. The Huskies are 1-1. The Scarlets are 2-0 after a pair of dominating wins and are top-rated in Class 5A. The game will be heard on AM 1390 KRFO / 94.7 FM, plus on the app and here on the website.
OHS coach Jeff Williams addressed the challenge ahead on last weekend's High School Coaches Show, "They just don't have a lot of gaps in their lineup, a lot of weaknesses. I think their No. 1 rating is well-deserved at this time of the year. They've got a lot of kids back from last year's squad, which was a very fine football team."
"Mekhi Collins (6-foot-5) plays wide out and corner for them. He's going to go to NDSU, and was offered by Iowa State...Their quarterback Zander Dittbenner is a marvelous quarterback. He's got a strong arm. He can do it with his feet as well. Their line, basically all returns. Their linebacker Ryan Haley has been offered by the University of St. Thomas."
Williams adds, "This is going to be a real stern test for us, to see how far we've come in the last couple of weeks." Williams points out that Owatonna moved the ball well against some of the upper level Class 6A teams at the preseason scrimmage, when the team was healthy. Owatonna was missing a few players in their win over Century last Friday.
Week three schedule for Southeast Minnesota:
Friday, September 17 games:
- Owatonna at Mankato West, AM 1390 KRFO
- Blooming Prairie at United South Central, Kat Kountry 105 FM
- JWP at NRHEG for the Gold Brick traveling trophy
- Triton at Dover-Eyota
- New Prague at Austin
- Faribault at Stewartville, Power 96
- Century at Mayo
- John Marshall at Northfield
- Albert Lea at Red Wing
- Kenyon-Wanamingo at Rushford-Peterson
- Cannon Falls at Pine Island, The Mighty 920 KDHL
- PEM at Zumbrota-Mazeppa
- Tri-City United at Waseca
- Chatfield at Caledonia
- Goodhue at St. Charles
Saturday, September 18 games
- Medford at Lester Prairie, 2:00
- Byron at Winona
- Mankato East at Kasson-Mantorville
- Randolph at Bethlehem Academy
- Fillmore Central at Hayfield
High school football has changed a lot over the years. How much has school cafeteria food changed? Keep scrolling to check it out.