Faribault Girls Basketball Win Fueled by Fronk Double Double
Faribault Falcons junior Zoe Fronk scored 15 points and pulled down 18 rebounds in a 56-46 victory of the Winona Winhawks at Nomeland Gym Wednesday night. The game was a makeup of a contest that had been scheduled for Tuesday night. Two other Falcons finished the game scoring in double figures. Senior Abby Van Ryn had 13 points with some impressive assists to Fronk for baskets. Freshman Evy Vettrus collected 12 points. Sophmore Bennett Wolff tallied 9 points.
Faribault had a miserable night at the free throw line, going 11 of 24. That coupled with very good free throw shooting by Winona kept them in the game. The Winhawks were 22 of 28 from the charity stripe. The Falcons were 4 of 11 from the free throw line in the first half and 7 of 13 in the second half. Winona was 10 of 12 in the first half and 12 of 16 in the second half.
The Falcons had a 25-16 lead at the half. Vettrus and Fronk each had 8 points to lead some balanced scoring supplemented by Van Ryn's 5 points.
Turnovers were huge in the game. Winona finished with 19, Faribault scored 13 points off of them. The Falcons had 13 turnovers and the Winhawks scored 9 points off Faribault miscues.
The Falcons are now 5-15 overall, 5-11 in the Big 9. Winona fell to 3-17 overall, 2-15 in Big 9 action.
Winhawks sophomore Phoenix Mathewis had 18 points to lead all scorers. Teammate junior Kaelah Simmons finished with 11 points and fouled out of the game with 31.1 seconds to go. Faribault junior Ellie hunt fouled out with 57 seconds to go.
Other girls basketball scores from Wednesday night:
- Northfield 58 Rochester Mayo 52 (Rachel Kelly 23 points, Lizzie Berkvam 17 points for Northfield)
- Zumbrota-Mazeppa 65 Stewartville 62
- Kasson-Mantorville 83 Pine Island 47
- Lake City 84 Rochester Lourdes 73
- Lyle/Pacelli 49 Southland 47
- Rochester John Marshall 65 Mankato West 60
- Mabel-Canton 56 Rushford-Peterson 53
- Kingsland 76 Houston 61
Boys basketball scores from Thursday.
- Cannon Falls 73 Goodhue 47
- Rochester Century 89 Red Wing 66 (Jack Fisher 31 points for Century)
- Lake CIty 73 Stewartville 53