Faribault Boys Hockey Hangs on to Defeat Austin
The Faribault Falcons boys hockey team defeated the Austin Packers 4-3 at the Faribault Ice Arena Saturday. The Falcons picked up two more power play goals in the win broadcast on KDHL. Faribault finished with 22 shots on goal and Austin 21. There were 5 penalties whistled on Austin and 4 penalties called against Faribault. 13 penalty minutes against the Packers and 8 against the Falcons.
The Packers scored 40 seconds into the game when senior Tyler Hoban (2) scored on a stuff into the net by the post with assists to senior Huter Guyette (5) and junior Kaleb Ree (3). At 9:24 Faribault tied when junior Noah Murphy (2) got a power play goal assisted by freshman Zach Slinger (5) and freshman Grady Goodwin (6). The score was 1-1 after 1 period. Shots were 9 for Faribault and 8 for Austin.
In the second period the Falcons scored 2:28 into the period when Slinger (14) punched it in following nice passes from junior Leighton Weasler (9) and sophomore Jordan Nawrocki. Weasler (4) then scored at 7:23 unassisted. After a Packer goal by Guyette (5), assisted by Hoban (4) and senior Riley Wempner (3) at 9:41. The score was Faribault 4 Austin 2 after two periods. Shots were Faribault two period total of 18 and Austin 17.
In the third period the only goal came at 10:03 by Austin's junior Lee (6), assists to Nate Murphy (2) and Guyette (6).
Faribault is now 2-2-1 in the Big 9 and 8-2-1 overall and Austin is 1-6 in the conference and 2-8 overall.
Other Saturday boys hockey:
- Rochester John Marshall 5 Hibbing/Chisholm 3
- Northfield 5 Mankato West 4 (OT)
- Red Wing 8 North St. Paul 1
- Rochester Mayo 2 Duluth Marshall 0
- Hastings 2 Owatonna 0
- Rochester Lourdes 5 Winona 1
- Holy Angels 5 Rochester Century 4
- Minnesota River 4 Marshall 1
- Rosemount 7 Apple Valley 0
- Lakeville North 4 Farmington 3 (OT)
- Lakeville South 5 Eagan 4 (OT)
- Prior Lake 5 Burnsville 4
- LaCrescent 8 Legacy Christian 3
- Holy Angels Academy 5 Rochester Century 4