Enter your number to get our free mobile app

St. Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) - Governor Tim Walz has ordered what he has termed "a four-week dial back" to combat the spread of COVID-19 in Minnesota.

Much of what was announced by the governor was previously reported, but the restrictions also include a ban on all social gatherings, indoors and outdoors, except those involving immediate household members. The new order states no one outside of your immediate household should enter your home.

In addition to the previously reported four-week closure of bars and restaurants, which will still be allowed to sell take out orders, the closure order also impacts gyms, personal fitness and yoga studios, and martial arts centers. The governor is also ordering a halt to both indoor and outdoor events and entertainment. That includes wedding and funeral receptions.

The new guidance says religious services, along with wedding and funeral services will be still allowed under the current rules, but it is strongly recommended to shift to virtual events to further reduce the risk of transmission.

Minnesota Department of Health

The governor says the "pause" covers organized adult and youth sports and closes indoor facilities at outdoor recreation sites. Gathering outdoors is allowed only with immediate household members.

All of the new restrictions will take effect at midnight on Friday night. 

Governor Walz says salons and barbershops will remain open with the current capacity limits and child care centers will also be allowed to continue operation. The new order also allows schools to stay open under the rules put in place by the Minnesota Department of Education, which have forced most area schools to shift to all distance learning because of the rise in COVID 19 activity that is filling hospital beds throughout the state.

 

News Update:  Minnesota Reports Record COVID Deaths and Hospitalizations