String of Fires Leads to Arson Arrest in Northern Iowa
Mason City, IA (KROC-AM News)- Authorities in Mason City, IA have arrested a man they say started a fire at a hardware store Tuesday morning.
A statement from the Mason City Police Department says officers responded to several fire calls between 5:22 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. The Mason City and Clear Lake Fire Department responded to each of the calls to extinguish the flames.
Police laid out a timeline of the Tuesday morning fire calls:
- 5:22 a.m. – 324 S Kentucky Avenue – garage fire
- 5:30 a.m. – Birch Drive / N Rhode Island Avenue – brush fire
- 6:25 a.m. – Arona Home Essentials, 3701 4th Street SW – vehicle fire
- 6:45 a.m. – Brothers Ace Hardware, 440 S Illinois Avenue – structure fire
- 7:15 a.m. – Gracious Estates, 777 S Eisenhower Avenue – structure fire
Officers then arrested 39-year-old Zachary Sankey in connection with the fire at the hardware store. He was booked into the Cerro Gordo County Jail on suspicion of 3rd-degree burglary and 2nd-degree arson in connection with the 6:45 a.m. fire.
Officials are asking for Mason City residents to assist with the investigation. They’re asking anyone who may have recordings or saw suspicious activity in the area of the Tuesday morning fires to contact law enforcement.