YOU’VE BEEN BANNED! The Most Banned Wedding Songs of All Time
Pretty soon (sooner than I want, somehow our wedding is only 5 months away. WHAT?!) my fiancé and I will need to finish filling out forms for our DJ. One of the sections on the form? What songs we absolutely do not want to be played.
So how fitting would it be to share with you the most updated list of most banned wedding songs of all time! This list was created by FiveThirtyEight, commentary by yours truly!
Quick side note: these are in order of most banned to least:
1. "Chicken Dance" - Yep, I'm good without this one.
2. "Cha-Cha Slide" by DJ Casper - No, no, no, this song WILL be played at my wedding! It's too fun!
3. "Macarena" by Los Del Rio - This one gets old after, like, 10 seconds so this is fine.
4. "Cupid Shuffle" by Cupid - I think one group dance is good enough, and I like the Cha-Cha Slide more, so see ya Cupid Shuffle!
5. "YMCA" by Village People - I don't mind this song but I also won't be heartbroken if it doesn't play.
6. "Electric Boogie (Electric Slide)" by Marcia Griffiths - Same thing as Cupid Shuffle, see ya!
7. "Hokey Pokey" - Nope, hard pass, there's no way this is being played!
8. "Wobble" by V.I.C. - Ok but this song is kind of fun to dance to sooooo I'm indifferent.
9. "Happy" by Pharrell Williams - Aww come on, who doesn't want this played? Your wedding day is supposed to be happy! Get it?!
10. "Shout" by Isley Brothers - Ya know, I think I'm ok without this one.
11. "Love Shack" by The B-52's - This is such a great song! Why would you ban it?
12. "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge - I feel like people love this song until the first chorus is over and then everyone is wondering when it'll end. Pass!
13. "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke - Oh my gosh I forgot about this song! Probably won't be played at my wedding though, the lyrics are... interesting.
14. "Celebration" by Kool & The Gang - Too cheesy, bye!
15. "Cotten Eye Joe" by Rednex - I get a kick out of dancing to this song though so you can stay Cotten Eye Joe!
16. "Dancing Queen" by ABBA - WHAT? Who would dare ban ABBA? This is a fantastic song!
17. "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey - I think, this song is fun though because EVERYONE knows the lyrics!
18. "Single Ladies" by Beyoncé - Nope, this song stays! First of all, one of my good friends is obsessed with Bey so this song will need to stay. Second of all, it's such a jam!
19. "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond - Nooo! This song is too iconic to ban!
20. "Turn Down for What" by DJ Snake & Lil Jon - Mmmm, yeah this one can go, I'm kind of over this song.
Alright, so I agree with 11 out of the 20 (I counted the ones I'm indifferent about as half a point). More than I thought! But some of these I can't believe even made it on the list!
Listen to Carly Ross on KDHL weekdays 1-5pm!