Faribault House Fire Caused by Discarded Cigarette
Faribault Fire Chief Dusty Dienst confirmed today the cause of a home fire Saturday has been determined to be," discarded smoking materials." The Faribault Fire Department, Faribault Police Department and North Memorial Ambulance were all dispatched to the home at 301 Sunshine Lane in Faribault. According Dienst the back side exterior of the home was fully involved in fire when crews arrived after the call came in at 11:17 a.m.
A paid-on-call Faribault firefighter lives nearby and heard the call. He ran over to alert the lone occupant of the home and they exited, unharmed. In a News Release Dienst says, "Firefighters made a quick knock down of the fire on the exterior of the home and then performed an interior offensive attack of the fire in the attic."
The initial information stated a cause was "yet to be determined but the fire had appeared to start on the exterior of the home, extended up into the attic through a soffit."
"The home suffered extensive smoke, fire and water damage."
Dienst explained, "It was determined that the fire started on the deck and wind pushed the fire east on the exterior of the home. Initial ignition was caused by discarded smoking materials."
The Faribault Fire Chief commented, "The quick thinking of the paid-on-call firefighter that lives nearby kept this incident from possibly being a bigger tragedy."