Driving Conditions Getting Bad in Southeast Minnesota
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - Weather conditions took a sudden turn for the worse in the Rochester area around 4:30 Thursday morning as freezing rain developed and temperatures nosedived.
The temperature at the Rochester airport fell from 36 degrees at 3:00 AM to 17 degrees at 6:00 AM.
Driving conditions deteriorated rapidly and motorists are being advised to allow for extra time.
Rochester and numerous other school districts in southeast Minnesota decided to call off classes for the day around 5:00 AM. The heavy snow some had feared is no longer expected as totals are now predicted to be in the 2-4 inch range by sundown.
As of 6:00 AM, Rochester Public Transit announced all routes are running on a normal schedule. But, RPT says delays are likely.
Other info from Rochester Public Schools:
School Age Child Care will be open 8:30am-4pm at Northrop Education Center (201 8th St. NW) for children enrolled in SACC
• All Community Education/PAIIR and Preschool daytime and evening classes for early childhood, youth, adults, and adults with exceptional abilities are canceled
• Hawthorne Education Center is closed
• All community building reservations are canceled
• All Professional Growth Academy classes are canceled
• All after school activities and athletics are canceled
• Non-Public Information Night will be rescheduled – more information to come