Andrew Lawrence Memorial Chili Cook-Off Winners
The Owatonna Armory was a busy place on Saturday, February 2nd, in fact, it was the place to be if you like your chili. The Armory was the setting of the 15th Annual Chili Cook-Off, raising funds for the Andrew Lawrence Memorial Scholarship Fund. Over 600 guests meant standing room only to sample the 40 chilis, and vote on the favorites. New this year was the Owatonna High School Culinary Club, who joined area restaurants in the challenge for who has the best chili around.
It was expected that over $8,000 would be raised for the Andrew Lawrence Memorial Scholarship Fund this year. The fund has awarded over $50,000 in scholarships to area students, and they will be awarding 4 $1,500 scholarships in May. You can find scholarship application materials here.
And the Winners are (drum roll please):
- People's Choice White: #6 Julie Robinson
- People's Choice Red: #2 Dave Effertz
- Chef's Choice White: #6 Julie Robinson
- Chef's Choice Red: #5 Don Robinson
- Grand Champion White: #33 Angela Sager
- Grand Champion Red: #28 (Craig (CA) Allen
- Fame Award Flame Award: #29 Todd Berglund
- Owatonna Best Chili (Restaurant): Costa's Restaurant
Out of all of the choices there were, and there were a LOT, I have to agree with the People's and Chef's Choice White chili, that one was absolutely nummy, and yes I voted for that one. I also agree with the People's Choice Red, delicious. I did not sample the hotter chilis, as I don't want a lot of spice in my chili.
I'm already looking forward to next year!